Sunday 17 April 2016

Food

Let me say from the outset that I've eaten very little in the way of Chinese food that would come close to what I ate in China. In a way this was a bit of a gastronomically-centric tour, perhaps because Kylie wanted to show that much of what goes for "Chinese" in NZ is a shadow of the real thing.

To be fair we were careful as travellers so we mainly ate only that which was well cooked.

Yumcha 
So much better presented that what I had seen before - attention to detail 




This I had in Hilton in Zhongshan
It soup and thats tofu waving as if a sea Anemone 


Pekin Duck in Beijing 
Worth going to Beijing for alone 


 Its the way its cut ...perfection our equivalent
looks comparatively like its been done with a chain saw. 




Crab soup inside a bun


Duck tongues, actually really good eating  


Sweet and sour fish, not as red as it looks in the photo but 
one of the really impressive things was how the skin stayed crunchy right to the end 
I had it three times.....in Shanghai 


Only in Shanghai - fish soup using the Yellow fish from
the Huang Pu River 


Baby Pigeon very good eating  


Hilton in Zhongshen, it wasn't till after I'd eaten this 
that someone said what it was (I already had a fair idea)
Some kind of insect that live on rice plants in a fritter - actually 
I'd eat it again quite happily 


Sea snake - a bit chewy and I found it only interesting 
from the anatomical point of view - we don't have snakes 


This was more spectacular to look at than eat, but its the 
look that really appealed to me - no Chinese cake or 
"deserts" even approach the sweetness we are used to in the west.


Typical bakery - none of them are sweet (to me) 


Poached chicken 


I can't recall what this is made from but its about the size of a Soccer 
ball - hollow inside and a bit chewy to eat but quite good and
you wouldn't tackle it on your own.


Moslem market in Xian 






"Wet" Market Hong Kong 


No comments:

Post a Comment